CAT 2017 Preparation Tips – Common Admission Test (CAT) 2017 preparation tips are very useful for the candidates who want to crack CAT 2017 in 4 months with good percentile. CAT 2017 is an offline Master business administration (MBA) entrance test. CAT 2017 will be conducted by IIM Lucknow to get admission in IIMs and other number of Business schools. CAT is the well-known MBA entrance exam in India. Since, CAT 2017 will be held on November 26, 2017, candidates have just five months to crack the exam. ParikshaTips provides CAT 2017 preparation tips for the candidates who want to crack CAT by self-study. In this CAT preparation tips 2017, candidates can know how to do section wise preparation of CAT such as Data Interpretation & Logical (DI & LR), Verbal Reasoning (VR) and Quantitative Aptitude (QA), how to improve weak section/topics, how to manage time (making time table), how to revise CAT 2017 syllabus, last month CAT 2017 preparation tips, exam day guidelines of CAT 2017 and much more.
Every year CAT is conducted by IIMs in a rotation. This year CAT 2017 will be concluded by IIM Lucknow in online mode. It is expected that approximately 3 lakh candidates will appear in CAT 2017. Last year, CAT was conducted by IIM-Bangalore where more than 2.3 lakh candidates were appeared in test. The exam conducting body will announce the important dates and events in the month of July. As per eligibility criteria of CAT 2017, candidate must be graduated and final year appearing candidates can also apply for CAT. Candidates can check below the CAT 2017 preparation tips.
CAT 2017 notification along with important dates relate to CAT will be released on 23 or 30 July and the application form of CAT 2017 will be available from August 6, 2017 tentatively.
Before starting with CAT 2017 preparation tips, candidates are advised to aware with CAT 2017 syllabus and exam pattern.
CAT Syllabus 2017 – There are no predefined topics or chapters in the syllabus of CAT 2017. Candidates can check the important topics to get the fair idea of CAT 2017 syllabus on which the questions will be asked. CAT syllabus is categorized in three sections namely Data Interpretation & Logical (DI & LR), Verbal Reasoning (VR) and Quantitative Aptitude (QA).
CAT Syllabus 2017
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||Verbal Reasoning||Quantitative Aptitude|
|Bar Graphs||Analogies or Reverse Analogies||Averages|
|Binary Logic||Cloze Passage||Complex Numbers|
|Blood Relations||English Usage or Grammar||Coordinate Geometry|
|Caselets||Fill in the blanks||Inequalities|
|Clocks||Jumbled Paragraph||LCM and HCF|
|Column Graphs||Meaning-Usage Match||Logarithm|
|Combination of two or more||Reading Comprehension||Mensuration|
|Cubes||Sentence Correction||Mixtures and Allegations|
|Line Charts||Summary Questions||Number Systems|
|Logical Connectives||Verbal Reasoning||Percentages|
|Logical Matching||Vocabulary Based (Synonyms/ Antonyms)||Permutation and Combination|
|Logical Sequence||Profit, Loss and Discount|
|Number and Letter Series||Quadratic Equations & Linear Equations|
|Pie Chart||Ratio and Proportion|
|Seating Arrangement||Sequences and Series|
|Syllogism||Set Theory & Function|
|Tables||Simple and Compound Interest|
|Venn Diagrams||Speed, Time and Distance|
|Surds and Indices|
|Time and Work|
After getting CAT syllabus, candidates must aware with CAT 2017 exam pattern. Let’s know all about exam pattern as described below: (Scroll down to get CAT 2017 preparation tips)
CAT Exam Pattern 2017 –
As per exam pattern of CAT 2017, offline entrance test will have three sections and the total number of questions is 100. Three sections, Quantitative Ability (QA), Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DA & LR) and Verbal & Reading Comprehension (VRC) consist of 34, 32 and 32 questions respectively. The total time allotted is 3 hours (60 minutes for each section). As per marking scheme, there is negative marking in CAT 2017. Plus three marks will be awarded for each correct answer and minus one for each incorrect answer. Check the below table of CAT exam pattern 2017.
CAT 2017 Exam Pattern
|Sections||Non-MCQs||MCQs||Total questions from each section||Total Time/section|
|DI & LR||8||24||32||60 minutes|
|Total||28||72||100 questions||180 minutes|
CAT 2017 Preparation Tips – After getting fair idea of CAT exam pattern and syllabus, let’s start with section wise CAT Preparation Tips 2017.
- CAT 2017 Preparation Tips (Section wise) – Candidates can check below the section wise preparation tips for Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude.
How to Prepare for CAT 2017 Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning?
A. CAT 2017 Preparation Tips for Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning –
- Read the question at least twice and carefully.
- No all questions required formula. Try to solve by elimination method.
- Practice pie chart and graphical questions
- Solve previous year question papers
- Pay attention to negative prefixes words, such as non-, un-, or dis-.
- Pay attention to “some,” “all,” or “none” “other than,” “only” or “unless”
- Pay attention to the word “ONLY” and “IF AND ONLY IF”.
How to Prepare for CAT 2017 Verbal Reasoning?
B. CAT 2017 Preparation Tips for Verbal Reasoning –
Read Newspapers – The Hindu, Economic Times or The Times of India on a daily basis.
Read some articles given below to improve your verbal ability
|Editor (News Paper)||Why to read?|
|P Sainath (The Hindu)||In-depth exploration of India’s rural landscape|
|Jug Suraiya (Times of India)||Humor, Wit, and awesome vocabulary|
|Hasan Suroor (The Hindu)||International Flavor|
|Bachi Karkaria (Times of India)||Wit, humor and awesome vocabulary|
|SA Aiyar (Times of India/ET)||Rigorous Economic Analysis|
Read some novel/books-
|1||Animal Farm by George Orwell|
|2||Anthem by Ayn Rand|
|3||Bridges of Madison Country by Robert James Waller|
|4||Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat|
|5||Love Story by Erich Segal|
|6||Mediocre but Arrogant by Abhijit Bhaduri|
|7||Oliver’s Story by Erish Segal|
|8||The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank|
|9||The Prophet by Khalil Gibran|
|10||The War of the Worlds by HG Wells|
|11||Time Machine by HG Wells|
|12||Tin Fish by Sudeep Chakravarti|
|13||To Sir with Love by ER Braithwaite|
|14||Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom|
|15||We the Living by Ayn Rand|
How to Prepare for CAT 2017 Quantitative Aptitude?
C. CAT 2017 Preparation Tips for Quantitative Aptitude –
- Solve previous year question papers
- Clear the basics
- Make Notes
- Learn formulas
- Practice with calculator
Topics and number of Days to Complete Quantitative Aptitude
|Topics||Number of Days|
|Miscellaneous Topics||10 Days|
|Number System||20 days|
|Permutation & Combination/Probability||20 days|
Major Topics of Quantitative Aptitude and number of Questions
|Topics||Number of Questions|
|Arithmetic||13 to 15|
|Algebra||6 to 8|
|Advance Mathematics||4 to 6|
|Geometry||6 to 9|
- How to manage time (making time table) – To manage your time, make a time table for the same. Now the question raises how to make a time table. Making time table is not including your breakfast or lunch time but what and how many topics should be completed in a day or days. Make time table as per section, topic and don’t waste time excessively on social media sites.
- How to improve weak section/topics – Only you know yourself! Examine your performance daily and improve your weak sections. To improve your weak sections just try again and again the same topics. For any doubt, ask your mentors or seniors.
- How to revise CAT 2017 syllabus – Always revise the syllabus according to marks weightage or the topic you like the most. Don’t spend excess time to those topics in which you are perfect.
- Last month CAT 2017 preparation tips – In the last month to CAT 2017 you should revise the syllabus. Don’t try to start new topics. If you are working, try to get leave for a month. Don’t waste time with your friends. Go for morning walk and sleep at least 6 hours daily. Maintain your health and play game for an hour.
- CAT 2017 Exam Day Guidelines – Don’t forget to read your notes and formulas. Students always make a mistake; they make notes but don’t revise their notes and formulas. On the exam day, reach early at exam centre (at least 30 minutes before entry). Don’t forget to take a CAT Admit Card. Read the exam instruction carefully and enter your correct details. Read questions carefully. Keep in mind that the exam will have negative marking.
|Read more CAT Preparation Tips 2017 here|
For more updates on CAT 2017 Preparation Tips, Stay with ParikshaTips